Friday, April 15, 2011

We Know Where We're Going!!!!

1.  We got a base within our list of top 10 bases





2.  The average low in the winter is 50 degrees.  The average high in the summer is 90 degrees.





3.  We will be speaking a foreign language





4.  There are world war II memorials where we will be stationed





5.  There are castle ruins where we will be stationed





6.  There are 1.3 million people living where we will be stationed





7.  We will be living on an island near a beautiful coral reef, full of ocean life and supposedly wonderful scuba diving and snorkeling sites





8.  The island is 67 miles long and varies from 2-17 miles wide





9.  The natives of this island are said to be the longest living people in the world, due to their healthy diet, stress-free lifestyle and community support.





10.  We're going to Okinawa, Japan!!!! 
And no, we're not worried about fallout from nuclear reactors in Japan.  Okinawa is an island quite a ways south from mainland Japan, and both air and water flow away from Okinawa.  We've been keeping a serious eye on everything that has been happening there and so far there hasn't been a rise in radiation in Okinawa.  We have prayed about it and feel very good about being stationed there.  We feel strongly that it's the Lord's plan for our family and while we are nervous about being so far away from everything we know and love, we are very excited about this opportunity to experience a different culture.
Here are some pictures of Okinawa... Looks like paradise!





8 comments:

  1. Wow! That is amazing. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! You guys are COURAGEOUS! It looks like such an amazing adventure though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Looks better and less crowded than Hawaii! Can't wait to see all your fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH!!! I cannot wait to visit!!!! Japan in 2012 for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaahhhh!! When Jon told me I was dying to call you and hear your reaction, so I asked if Joey had told you yet and he didn't think he had. Otherwise I would have been the one to break the news.:) SO super excited for you guys!! What a life-changing experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah Joey waited to tell me when he got home- I had told him earlier to bring home dinner from whatever area we would be moving to, so he picked up some sushi on the way home. (And because he knows me so well he brought me some california rolls. Raw fish and I don't get along).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am jealous. Makes me want to sign up for the Air Force right now! You guys are going to have a great time! And maybe we'll just have to visit--I'm scuba certified!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definately, Alicia! Come and visit! One of the first things we're planning to do is to get Scuba certified. We'd love to have you come.

    ReplyDelete