One of our favorite moments from The Office is when Michael and Dwight are getting driving directions from a GPS. You see Michael driving the car toward the lake... Dwight starts to panic... the GPS tells Michael to continue driving straight... Michael irritatedly shrugs off Dwight's concerns "It knows what it's DOING Dwight!" They end up in the lake.
We had just such a GPS moment yesterday. Since there were no available hotel rooms in Nauvoo, I had booked a hotel that tripadvisor recommended. It was supposed to be close to Nauvoo. One reviewer remarked that she loved it and loved that it was only 15 minutes away from Nauvoo.
Imagine our frustration when our GPS expected arrival time showed us a 60 minute trip to our hotel. After 6 hours in the car already that day... and about 24 over the last few days. J kept asking why I chose this particular hotel... as we're driving through the middle of nowhere, passing small towns... fields of cows... nothing...
An hour later we finally arrive. Look over the Mississippi... and see a bridge. The bridge that would have taken us to Nauvoo in 14 minutes. The bridge our GPS decided to ignore. The bridge the sweet sister missionaries in Nauvoo told us didn't exist.
Expected Drive: 14 Minutes
View Larger Map
Expected Drive: 58 Minutes. In fact, such a long drive that the google maps picture doesn't show it all. However, we did get a beautiful drive along the Mississippi.
View Larger Map
Uggggh!! We have moments like this all the time with our GPS too. Sometimes you just gotta out think it I guess, and an atlas never hurts as we learned when it took us up to Virignia instead of going straight through Tennessee to get to NC.:)
ReplyDeleteOh I'm sorry Becks but I totally laughed my head off about this. Come what may and love it I guess! Hahahaha
ReplyDeleteOur GPS is just as bad! Glad you were able to have a fun time in Nauvoo, though.
ReplyDelete